Currently, it is estimated 30 million American adults without a high school diploma.I Additionally, the pandemic created the highest unemployment rate since the Great Recession and unemployment rates were highest for workers without a high school diploma. With Gale Presents: Excel Adult High SchoolLibraries provide local economic value through workforce development by helping adult learners achieve their educational and career goals.
“We partnered with Excel Education Systems because they are a leader in adult learning and have an exceptional focus on supporting adults who want to re-enter the education system,” said Paul Gazzolo, senior vice president and general manager of Gale. “As a trusted partner of public libraries, Gale understands the importance of access to education, especially for underserved and at-risk populations. With Gale Presents: Excel Adult High School, we help public libraries change lives. Graduating from high school leads to better jobs with higher salaries, college, and most importantly, a sense of pride that comes with achieving your dreams.”
Missouri State Library is the first state agency to provide Gale Presents: Excel Adult High School to its communities. The program will be offered to all public libraries in Missouri this month. Each library will determine its participation in the program and purchase its own scholarships to offer to qualified adults. The program is free for students, but registration is limited and requires a library card.
“More than 600,000 adults in Missouri don’t have a high school diploma and the pandemic has only exacerbated that need,” said from missouri State Librarian, Robin Westphal. “With Gale Presents: Excel Adult High Schoolwe are implementing a program that gives Missourians the opportunity to advance their education and achieve their career goals, paving the way for the future workforce and economic growth, and we are thrilled to be the first state library system in the nation to offer it.
Gale Presents: Excel Adult High School features:
- 21.5-credit program aligned with national standards that prepares adults for success in college or the workplace. Learners can choose from over 100 completely online university, elective and core college courses. The program is updated and regularly launches new courses.
- Regional Accreditation by Cognia, the parent organization of the North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement (NCA CASI), the Northwest Accreditation Commission (NWAC), and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement (SACS CASI). In addition, Excel Adult Secondary School is a candidate for accreditation by the Middle States Association on Elementary and Secondary Schools (MSA-CES).
- Courses are available with built-in ELL tools. Non-native English speakers have access to courses in many languages. Students can view the content in English and see the translation of the chosen language alongside. There is also an audio player feature for students who need or want course content to be read aloud.
- Free college-level ACE (American Council on Education) courses are available. Students can choose to take up to seven college-credit courses that can be transferred to accredited colleges and universities.
- Flexible, self-paced schedule – complete in 12-18 months or less.
- Tuition free. The library’s subscription to the program covers the cost of the fellowship.
- Success coaching/advisory team help with course selection, college planning or career counseling. Students will have access to MyPlan software to help them discover their professional interests. Additionally, students receive information on college admissions requirements, scholarships, federal student aid, and more.
- Integrated, one-to-one live online tutoring program—Train the Brain — available for busy students. In addition, students work closely with their academic advisors and interact with their course instructors.
- Intuitive online platform anytime, anywhere.
- High School Diploma or GED®, HiSET ® or TASC credits accepted.
“Libraries have never been more essential to their communities. COVID-19 has created a profound need for the trusted information, education and community connection that libraries were designed to provide,” said Rod Clarkson, CEO of Excel Education Systems. “By offering Excel Adult Secondary School through partnerships with public libraries, it not only adds to their decades-old heritage as a trusted resource, but we also increase the value of libraries in the digital age. »
For more information, visit the Gale Presents: Excel Adult High School Web page.
Gale partners with Excel Education Systems to issue accredited high school diplomas through public libraries because of their long-standing commitment to providing high-quality, accredited education services to their students, including more than 20,000 adult learners. Excel High School is a non-public school headquartered in Minnetonka, Minnesotaand has been in operation since 2005. Since then, Excel High School has helped thousands of school-aged and adult learners graduate and transition into higher education, employment, military enlistment, and career advancement.
About Cengage Group and Gale
Cengage Group, an educational technology company serving millions of learners in 165 countries, is advancing the way students learn through quality digital experiences. The company currently serves the K-12, higher education, professional, library, English language education and workforce training markets worldwide. Gale, part of the Cengage Group, provides libraries with original, curated content and the modern research tools and technologies that are essential for connecting libraries to learning and learners to libraries. For more than 60 years, Gale has partnered with libraries around the world to foster the discovery of knowledge and ideas – where, when and how people need it. Gale has 500 employees worldwide with its main operations in Farmington Hills, Michigan. For more information, please visit www.gale.com.
Follow Gale on:
Kayla SiefkerGale, a Cengage company
SOURCE Gale, a subsidiary of the Cengage group